What we do
At field level
- Promoting a healthy body and healthy mind using appropriate nutrition.
- Promoting the challenge of values and belief systems that cause individuals as well as communities to be dependent on agencies and resources beyond their perceived control.
- Promoting organic food production.
- Promoting sustainable building practices.
- Promoting sustainable livelihoods and business practices.
- Promoting sustainable energy sources.
- Promoting innovative methods of teaching.
- Encouraging practical, creative activities in all curriculum subjects..
At the charity
- Fundraising to support CART Amasame, Sisonke School and CART Sicambeni as well as other organisations or communities with compatible aims.
- Promoting awareness and understanding of such approaches to living and of organisations or communities adopting such approaches.
- Recruit and support volunteers to contribute their skills to organisations or communities with compatible aims.
- Any other activities that will directly or indirectly promote sustainable living and non-dependency.
The overarching aims of PEPE are to help address the following Millennium Development Goals (MDG):
- Reduction or eradication of extreme poverty and hunger (MDG 1)
- Promotion of gender equality and empowering women (MDG 3)
- Ensuring environmental sustainability (MDG 7)
- Achieving universal primary education (MDG 2).
To develop the capacity and skills of members of socially and economically disadvantaged communities worldwide in such a way that they are empowered to identify and meet their needs and to participate fully in society.
To promote the advancement of innovative methods of education for school students of socially and economically disadvantaged communities across the world in such a way that they are empowered to become independent and caring young people with the confidence to identify and meet their needs and to participate fully in society.
To promote sustainable development for the benefit of the public by:
- The relief of poverty and the improvement of the conditions of life in socially and economically disadvantaged communities.
- The promotion of sustainable means of achieving economic growth and regeneration.
- The preservation, conservation and the protection of the environment and the prudent use of resources.
To advance the education of the public in subjects relating to sustainable development and the protection,enhancement and rehabilitation of the environment and to promote study and research in such subjects provided that the useful results of such study are disseminated to the public at large.
In this context, “sustainable living” means “a dynamic process which enables all people to realise their potential and improve their quality of life in ways which simultaneously protect and enhance the earth’s life support systems”
(Forum for the future, 2009).